Saturday, September 27, 2008

Ask the Monk®

This week's question: "Your column is very interesting. I don't think it is appropriate for someone who violates the monastic rules of Buddhism to call himself a monk, and especially disagree with you identifying yourself with both the Franciscan and Buddhist tradition, since you are an atheist. As a more observant and faithful Buddhist, I would like to hear your explanation on how you can justify your sexual proclivity, and still feel like you have a right to call yourself a Buddhist monk. Please back your response with corroborating material from recognised Buddhist authorities... not your self-justifying opinions."

Namasté! Thank you for taking the time to send such a thoughtful expression of your opinion of my work and qualifications. I do hope my answer meets with the standards you have requested.

Please understand that while I understand that you are a Theravadan practitioner, I can only respond from my experience of thirty-seven years as a Mahayanan Buddhist. I also understand that for many, the claim to be practicing Buddhism is actually, at closer evaluation, the practice of religionism and cultural exclusivism with Buddhist "wrappers". So when I say that I am a Buddhist contemplative, I am saying that I am a contemplative monk, who lives according to the Rule of Life set forth for my particular monastic community (see: http://dharmadudeunplugged.com/community-index.html), and living according to the fundamental precepts taught by Buddha Sakyamuni. I always try to be very clear that I am not part of a "Buddhist religion" (a term I find to be oxymoronic, in and of itself).

At the core of Mahayana teaching is the understanding that we are already Buddha (enlightened ones), and that liberation (or Nirvana) is present right here and right now, then our sexual expression has as much a potential for expressing our pure nature as celibacy might.

From my perspective, as learned from my many teachers, if I am mindful of my Buddha-nature, then even my most passionate expression of sexuality -- which is a natural and holistic part of my personhood -- can be done from an awakened awareness. I never set-out to avoid the natural expression of my personhood, only to discard delusion and attachment, which lead to suffering. And I can tell you that natural sexual expression without attachment, possessiveness or the delusion of imagining that one's true happiness comes from such expression is wholly and fully possible.

Nichiren, in his "Passions are Awakening" writes:

"When one chants, 'Namu-myoho-renge-kyo,' then, even during love-making, the passions are awakening and the sufferings of life and death are nirvana."

I would suppose that since the most formative years of my early exposure to Buddhism, as a child of seven to twelve, were spent studying with a Nichiren Master, then this would satiate your need for providing foundational "authority" for my teaching. However, I think that there is something far more important to consider...

I do not recommend that anyone take my word as "authority". In fact, in a few days, when our monks convene for General Assembly, my humble request is for us to, over the coming year, dispense with the hierarchical titles of "Lama" and so forth, within our contemplative community. I personally have no authority to make that pronouncement as "rule", even though my "title" is that of the "high lama" or chief-teacher of the community. I see myself as nothing more than a contemplative monk, and the elder-brother of our other contemplative sisters and brothers.

Buddha encouraged us to believe nothing, simply because it was written or taught... but to apply our own reasoning to determine that which is true and right for us. I encourage others to do the same thing.

When I say that I am Franciscan and Buddhist, I am only identifying with adjectives the simple fact that my path is influenced according to the teachings of Buddha, and charism of detachment, purity of heart and interior listening of Francis of Assisi. I vowed my life to those ideals. I don't believe they are the "only way", the "best way" or by any other means "superior" to anyone else's path.

It is widely assumed that Francis of Assisi believed in a "personal" deity, and embraced the doctrine and dogma of the Catholic institutional church. However, it is also widely assumed that the founder of the Franciscan order also died as a member of that order, when in fact, he disavowed his membership in the Franciscans three years prior to his death. So we can never be entirely sure of historical "accounts", since often, they are tradition, mythology and a little bit of fact, conveniently packaged to suit the agenda of the institution in power. Regardless of his theism, I am inspired by his way of life... not his theology.

Yes, I am an atheist in the strictest sense of the word. I have no reason to believe in superstitious tales of gods and demons as being literal accounts. I also have no difficulty embracing the metaphor of gods and goddesses as reflections of our own human nature and divine potentiality. And I don't mind at all when others find comfort in the imagery of gods, goddesses and saints, as long as their spirituality leads them to healing, healthiness and compassion.

Finally, I must comment, as I have often done in the past, that I am completely disinterested in others' opinions of me or of my work. I don't do this for anyone's approval or validation... and that's why I am unapologetic about what I teach, and do not take the "easy road" many have recommended, by simply avoiding the discussion of theism, religion and so forth, and focusing only on Love. I could easily do that, as many others have... and like them, could rake in a lot of support (especially financial support) for being "non-controversial". But doing so would demean the vows I took, and would prevent me from reaching those who recognise organised religion as being bullshit, with very little relevance in a postmodern world.

If I don't express my understanding of belief in irrational superstitions as being so, then I am, by omission, endorsing such patently unhealthy beliefs. And I am teaching people to rely on imaginary friends, outside of themselves, as the source of their power and life... and that is absurd, unhealthy and frankly, cruel, from my perspective.

So this isn't a path for everyone... and it's likely a path too intense for most... but it's my path, and I choose to share it with anyone who wishes to journey with me. They need not even agree with it to share it with me!

I love the celebration of cultural traditions... and I view religion as a particular, man-made culture. So I enjoy expressing the culture of my Wiccan friends, my Jewish friends, my Luciferian friends, my Catholic friends, my Muslim friends, my Quaker friends (ha! you were waiting for me to say my Friends friends, weren't you?), my Hindu friends, my various-flavours-of-Protestantism friends, and so on... And I celebrate their traditions, rituals and liturgies with genuine reverence, no different than the reverence with which I celebrate the Tibetan and Nichiren rituals of the Buddhist culture.

And yes, one of the cultural traditions of my culture as an openly gay man includes the expression of sexuality with other men... and there is as much respect, awareness and joy in that celebration as there is in the celebration of Mass, or Sabbat or Eid. Some will be OK with that, some won't. No worries!

With metta and respect,

Gurudas Sunyatananda, OC
the punk monk

 

Internationally respected, life coach and teacher, Lama Gurudas Sunyatananda (Dr. F. Gianmichael Salvato, O.C., M.Sc.) is a Buddhist and Franciscan contemplative, and author of the popular book, "The Dharma of Compassion - One Monk's Reflections on the Teachings of the Enlightened and Anointed Ones". He is best known for his on-going contributions to helping people unlock the power of their own minds -- teaching them how to apply that power to create strong, loving relationships, make more money, and live more meaningful, prosperous, health and satisfying lives.

You can join his primary social network and interact with him directly by visiting:
http://www.6dgr.com/index.php?mode=join&refs_id=8412  or by emailing him at: successcoach@prosperityreinvented.com

Copyright ©2008, Dr. F. Gianmichael Salvato, All rights reserved. This article may be reproduced, blogged, quoted or distributed, provided the entire blog, including by-lines, contact information and this copyright remain intact. It may NOT be altered in any way, without express written permission.

No comments: