Friday, July 24, 2009

The Yoga of Compassion

gurudas-1 Yesterday, one of my students was chatting with me on Facebook and asked me whether I thought it was necessary for him to begin practicing hatha yoga or kali natha yoga (the yoga style developed by and based on the teachings of Ven. Tenzin Yangchen (Ma), one of the teachers who had the most profound impact on my life.

In response, I told them that for the student of the Dharma, these forms of physical yoga are fine, as means of training and conditioning one’s self to better hold the energy of the practice itself. But I do not believe they are necessary, or even the most effective means of spiritual attainment.

Physical yoga is a very difficult means of raising kundalini energy.

My root guru always taught, as did the Buddha and the Christ, that the more perfect way of raising spiritual awareness and attaining liberation is by serving others: feeding the poor, caring for the sick, providing for those who are in need or hurting. This raises kundalini in a way that no asana can accomplish alone.

Compassion is the highest form of yoga.

From the Dharma talks of Dharmacharya Gurudas Sunyatananda, O.C. – spiritual director of the Contemplative Monks of the Eightfold Path, and founder of The Spiritus Project. He is the author of several books on the Crazy Wisdom tradition of Buddhist dharma, including: The Dharma of Compassion and Awakening (available from Lojong Press).

No comments: